Monday, September 24, 2007

Just a little note....

Just to let you all know that work on the update is going according to a non existant plan, but it will be an absolute belter when I get all the vehicles, aircraft and naval assets built and skinned. I have a "BOMSF Progress Report" around here somewhere that I must post up once the list of inclusions is final. Everytime I watch the history channel another idea for a crazy vehicle pops into me head and off I go to build it. The last update was on the handhelds, the next one will be on the vehicles, and this one I'm afraid, is the rather boring bit in between - but it has a purpose.

All of the assets ingame have a limit on how many polygons [how detailed roughly] a weapon building or vehicle can have. This limit is set by DICE and the BF2 game engine. We are gonna push that limit so that basic shit like wheels look less like smooth rocks, weapon scopes no longer look like they've been carved from a stick....etc etc.. So what I do is build things like wheel at a really high detail and take a snap shot of it. That snapshot of the detailed object now becomes the texture for the low detailed object, sort of like Danny DeVito and Arnie in Twins....or not. Somewhere in the middle you get a point where the player doesnt recognise whether the model looks realistic or not, they just carry on blowin stuff up. Heres a few shots of some of the vehicle wheels I've been working on. Each is for a different MEC 'thing'. All you have to do is name that 'thing' and I'll post up the finished vehicle!

http://www.brassjacket.com/weaponrenders/wheel01.jpg
http://www.brassjacket.com/weaponrenders/wheel02.jpg
http://www.brassjacket.com/weaponrenders/wheel03.jpg

Sneaky, I know.

Explosion effects, artillery sounds & explosions, whizzbys, a new map called "Poison Flow", 1 mega air asset and improving the MSG90 model have all been molested since the last update also.

Bo

p.s. congrats to Mr & Mrs. WallyJas, patron, on their recent nuptials.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He he ... thanks for the mention ;)